Community Food and Agriculture CoalitionCommunity Food and Agriculture Coalition Contact: Bonnie Buckingham
CFAC develops and strengthens Missoula County’s food system and that of the surrounding region by:
- Promoting sustainable agriculture;
- Building regional self-reliance;
- Assuring that all have equal access to nutritious, affordable and culturally appropriate food;
- Advocating for local, state and national policies that promote our local food system.
CFAC envisions a future where houses, farms, and ranches thrive together; people are well-fed and food secure; family farms are supported within a community food system; and beginning farmers and ranchers can access agricultural land to feed the rest of us. We believe:
- That local food systems promote health, economic opportunity, quality of life, sense of community and place, and ecological sustainability.
- That the dominant, corporate-controlled food system is unsustainable and has taken decision-making around food and agriculture out of our hands.
- That a well functioning, local food system must rely on the strength of each component of that system and that each element needs attention.
- That our community should be proactive about adopting policies and planning for a safe and secure local food system for the future.
- That meaningful civic engagement is an important tool to promote a sustainable local food system.
- That all people should have access to healthy food and that all farmers, ranchers and local businesses should be fairly compensated for their labor and investment.
CFAC is a local food policy coalition that identifies assets and needs related to building a vibrant local food system and pursues solutions through collaboration, policy advocacy, and innovative projects.
Vision – Three to Five Years
CFAC is a leader in developing a viable local and regional food system in Western Montana. Our influence results in long range land use planning and policy at the local and State level in support of agriculture and food systems. CFAC works to identify issues and develop relevant solutions regarding our local food system and collaborates with others to advance our mission. CFAC is part of an established regional network that promotes stronger community connections, greater access to nutritious foods, agricultural land protection and farming viability, local economic development, and jobs in the food system. CFAC has a functional organizational structure supported by sustainable funding and a clear, well-understood governance framework.
328 E Main Street, Suite 1 Missoula Montana 59807